Sunday, January 14, 2007

Meeting Kinky & Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch

I just wanted to write down a few memories from my wonderful weekend and tell a little about it. We headed to San Antonio on a mission last Thursday. We needed to pick up our neighbors from the airport on Saturday and we decided that we would also head to the Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch to donate a few doggie things and see if they needed our help for the day. Cousin Nancy and Tony welcomed us with open arms and made us feel very welcome. They needed dog's nails clipped so Pete and I headed out, first with Tony and then with one of the "ranch hands" John to finish up. By the time we completed our “nail day” for the pups we had clipped about 30 dogs or 120 paws! We then decided we were having too much fun and there were a few dogs I wanted to check out again so we started walking a few. I got Sonny Boy first because he melted my heart when we first went into his cage to clip his nails. John told me he would be very scared of us and that he didn't trust new people. Within a minute of softly talking to him and petting him he licked me. Then I couldn't get him to stop! What a great guy. He was quiet and soft spoken but has a lot of love to give somebody. I just wish it could have been us and we had the room. Then Pete wanted to walk Albert Einstein and Macy. So we headed back down to the creek with the two of them for a little romp. It was quickly apparent that Albert wanted to hang with me and Macy wanted to play with Pete so we switched. Albert spent the rest of the walk with his head glued to my thigh as we walked I scratched his ear. He reminded me so much of my old dog Zach except he was quite a bit bigger. The only time he got upset was when his roommate Macy got too far away. You could really tell that he liked hanging out with her also!
Then it was off the meet Kinky and head home. Kinky was very gracious and kept thanking us for coming out to the ranch to help. He posed for a picture, signed another picture for us and we gave him copies of the pictures that were taken of him and my dog, Sophia at a fund raiser last year. He thought the pictures were great and said he might use them in his next book. Wouldn't that be great to see my little girl in a Kinky Friedman book! (It will probably never happen, but I don't care!)
What a great day and we still had dinner with friends at a great place in New Braunfels, Huisache Grill. Pete knows the owners so we headed to their house for drinks then met up with friends for a fabulous dinner. If your ever in New Braunfels I recommend checking it out. Of course my trip to New Braunfels wouldn't be complete without also going to Gruene Hall. A fun band played, we danced and then it was time to go home. I sound like a tour guide now but I really had a wonderful time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home