working....don't cry for me......
Well here I sit. It's 1 am and I am at work. I don't usually work the night shift but it's December, everyone wants vacation and one of the girls that works overnight is having foot surgery. So here I am. Until 3 am. Then I get to go home, go to sleep, get up and come back to work at 1 in the afternoon. With my drive to and from work I will get about 5-6 hours of sleep between shifts. I was worried that the ER shift was going to be crazy but so far it's been super quiet. I have gotten a total of 1 phone call from some wacky lady who wanted me to tell her it would be ok to go take a puppy from her neighbor's house because she thinks it's being abused. I told her to call the police or animal control. I feel sorry for the puppy if she is being truthful. She says he isn't being fed and they are keeping the pup in a small wire cage and it's damn cold out there tonight. (I agree about the damn cold part!) I guess I understand that she thought calling an animal clinic would get her some help, but legally there is nothing we can do. I didn't even want to tell her to go and get the dog. With my luck she would have gotten shot by her neighbor and Channel 3 news would be banging on the clinic's door asking for an interview with the crazy technician who told this lady it was ok to steal a dog.
Let's see, what else. Oh, I got blood in my eye and now it is bothering me. Can blood blind you? Will I wake up tomorrow and not be able to see out of my left eye? I am sure I will be fine but it was pretty stupid of me to do it in the first place. I guess I'm just tired.
Last night we had the Garden Club Christmas party. I was on the committee throwing down the shindig. I think it was a major success. We had a theme, "Christmas, Island Style" and we decorated with beachy stuff...sand buckets, beach chairs and umbrellas, and fake palm trees. It looked very pretty, if I do say so myself since I was the one who decorated it. Then we hired The Pacific Islanders.
(Polynesian show for hire with hula dancers, drum band, fire knife dancers)I personally wanted the fire knife dancers but they were too expensive (and the "fire" part scared all the other little old ladies on the committee) so we settled for the 2 hulu girls. It was cute. We wanted to put on a party that people would remember and have fun to boot. So I think we accomplished our goal.
Now I have 1 1/2 hours left. It's so quiet here. Everyone's asleep except me and the softly playing radio. I have to go and check on Shadow. She's a cat who was attacked by dogs and she is a mess. She's super painful so we have her on pain meds and since she won't eat or drink we have her on IV fluids and we are trying to coax her to eat every couple of hours. I don't think she likes to see me coming since I am always having to do something to her. I think she just wants to sleep. Well, come to think of it so do I.
Charlie is the dog who's blood I got in my eye. I was drawing a sample to run another glucose test on him. He is hypoglycemic. After his blood work I had to give him IV dextrose (sugar water) to get his blood sugars to come up. He's pretty sweet as he just sat there like a good little patient while I pulled his blood sample.
Oh, yeah. I forgot to tell about the 3 crazy clients we saw before the Doctor went to bed. All 3 were drunk and 2 of them carried their adult frosty beverages into our establishment! Doc wondered if they had gone to a human ER would they have been allowed to bring in the alcoholic beverages? It's not like it's the weekend yet so I don't know what the craze was that this evening you had to be drinking before you were allowed to bring your dog to the emergency clinic. One guy told the receptionist that his dog ate a bone and we were going to do surgery on it right now. I figured if he knew so much about veterinary medicine that he could diagnose a foreign body without any tests we needed to find out what vet school he graduated from and see about getting new vets from his school. People crack me up.
I apologize for any spelling errors. I first blame this keyboard since a lot of the keys stick and you think you are pushing them down but you really are just brushing them and the letter doesn't make it on the page. Second I am not working in Word and I can't find any spell check for this as is. So you get it how I type it. Like it or not.
One more hour. I need to check on the kids and finish up some laundry.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home